Ferdy on Films, etc.

Film reviews and commentary, random thoughts on the world around us, blatant promotion of favorite charities, and other ponderables.

Sunday, October 08, 2006


Chicago International Film Festival

I'm at the CIFF for the next two weeks, so Ferdy on Films won't see too much activity until after the show is over. If you want to catch my reviews of the films I will be seeing there, go to The Beachwood Reporter and look under the People, Places, and Things section. I've already seen a couple of outstanding films and am looking forward to the variety of documentaries and feature films I have lined up, as well as one silent film, Chicago (1927). l

2 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    You know, when you go there, maybe I can stop by to meet you and say hello. Does the "L" travel there?

    Mark

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marilyn,

    My name is Carol Seymour. I enjoyed reading your article in the Beachwood Reporter on Chicago Int'l Film Fest's 10/18 screening of the silent film "Chicago." Excellent summary & analysis of the film, and thanks for your appreciation of the musical accompaniment. My husband, David Drazin, is the pianist. Dave was very pleased when I showed him your article.

    There was no mainstream media advance publicity on either Dave's or David Robinson's appearance, so I looked online and spotted your 10/5 recommendation of "Chicago" as a must-see silent film. The Thorne Auditorium has a grand piano behind the screen, but it would have cost the fest extra to set up a monitor on the piano similar to what's at the Siskel Center. That's why Dave played his own portable electric piano.

    Wouldn't it be great if UCLA sent "Chicago" on the road? Collector Rusty Casselton's 16mm copy has been screened occasionally, but the UCLA 35mm restored print looks terrific.

    Thanks again for your support!

    Sincerely,
    Carol Seymour

    David Drazin,jazz, ballet and silent film pianist
    www.kendavies.net/daviddrazin/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home